Thursday, September 24, 2009

OUCH!! Thats my tooth.


I broke off a piece of one of my teeth eating a hard shell taco from Del Taco about 2 weeks ago, so anyway this morning I got to go to the dentist to have him crown my tooth. Let me tell you, spending an hour and a half at the dentists office at 7:30 am really sucks. I even took my ipod so I could listen to my music while the drilling was going on.

First thing when I get there, the assistant puts the topical in my mouth. I think they try to make that stuff taste good, but it doesn't work. About 5 minutes later, the dentist comes in and sticks the needle in your jaw to put half of your face to sleep. By the way, the topical doesn't work. shot from the dentist still kills, but the dentist always has to say, "Now that wasn't so bad was it". YES it was.

After my face was asleep that dentist comes in and starts drilling, by this time I am dozing to AC/DC playing on my iPOD. But, the drill was too loud, all I can hear was bzzzzzzzzzz. I couldn't hear the music.

When he is done drilling, he discovers he needs to build up the remaining tooth to have something for the cap to stick to. I was wondering how he would do this. I soon found out. He pulled out some screws and screwed them into my tooth. When he is done, he asked if it hurt. OF COURSE IT HURT, you were screwing a screw into my tooth. Of course, I said "not too bad"

After getting screwed, they needed to make a mold of my teeth. Another great experience, its like having someone stick 20 pieces of really soft already-been-chewed bubblicious gum in your mouth and telling you to bite down. The goo goes everywhere, down your throat, out your mouth, everywhere. It seems like they could use about half the goo and still get the job done. But what is worse is, while your sitting there gagging, they say "OK, now don't move, I'll be back in a few minutes while it sets". A few minutes, hell I'll be dead in a few minutes. You can only live for like 6 minutes without breathing.

Well, apparently about 5 minutes and 59 seconds later, just before you start seeing your relatives that have previously passed on. The light is there, but the relatives haven't shown up yet. The dental assistant comes in to save you. She starts pulling on the dried goo to take it out of your mouth, but the goo has dried. it is stuck to your teeth and to the newly formed partial tooth. She pulls, it feels like it is going to pull out your teeth, but it doesn't.

At this point, they left me to my music while they went to make the crown. I listened to my music. It was the highlight of my morning. After about 15-20 minutes the assistant came in and put on the crown. It went on perfectly, Except for one small thing .....

It is only a temporary crown. I have to go back in 3 weeks to have the permanent one put on.

I just love the dentist office. Really, Dr. Peacock does an excellent job. It just isn't fun having your teeth worked on.

3 comments:

  1. ugh dad, i'm sorry! after my last trip to the dentist ( i had to suffer through the complete pain of him drilling my tooth because i just would NOT get numb), i cringe at the thought of going back :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the dentist too!!! They are now stalking me to come in because I am a little overdue on the cleaning. I hate that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for ya dad!! NOT FUN!!

    ReplyDelete