Friday, September 18, 2009

More Weight Thoughts

First a Government Thought - Finally the government has done something right. They have voted in both the senate and the house to de-fund ACORN. Good Job, Guys, and it only took 4 damning videos and who knows how many criminal allegations and convictions against ACORN members to get our Congress to cut funding. Once again, NICE JOB! Now if you can clean up the corruption in your own legislative houses we will be on our way to a better Country.

Now for my real subject. I've been thinking about weight loss lately. I started my diet on May 28th weighing in at 230 lbs. Pretty fat, infact according to the BMI calculator on myfitnesspal.com I was Obese. I didn't really think I was that fat, but these web site tools don't lie. My original goal was to lose 20 lbs, to get down to 210.

Well, I met my original goal, my wife and kids say I look a lot thinner. Heres the problem, I look in the mirror and I just don't see it. All I see is my gut. It is still there. My shirts don't feel looser, my pants don't feel looser. I haven't had to go buy new clothes. I still feel the same only now I'm hungry more often. My wife says my clothes fit differently, but they still feel the same to me.

I haven't lost many inches, my neck on June 16 was 17", now it is 16.5. My waist was 42", now 40" So I have lost a whopping 2"in my waist, and my hips were 43.5", now 43". Not much difference from my point of view. I think I lost most my weight in my upper body, chest, and neck areas, not my stomach.

Anyway, I decided since losing 20 lbs hasn't made me look or feel differently, at least to myself, that I need to lose another 20 lbs. My goal now is 190 lbs by New Years. I think I should be able to do it. So far I have been averaging about 1.2 lbs per week (which isn't that good, according to myfitnesspal, I should be losing 2 lbs per week). If I can lose 1.2 lbs for 15 weeks(time until New Years, better start getting ready for Christmas ;) I should lose 18 more lbs. I guess I better modify my goal to 195 since there are so many holidays until then, Halloween (mmm! Candy), Thanksgiving (mmm! Turkey), and Christmas (mmm!!! EVERYTHING). WOW! Maybe I should re-adjust again to being under 200 on New Years. OK that is my new goal, under 200 lbs for New Years.

Losing weight it kind of addicting, really frustrating, and just hard to do. I can understand how people can become anorexic, you lose weight and you know it, but you look in the mirror and you don't look different to yourself, so you think you need to lose more weight, so you diet more, lose more weight, look in the mirror again, still don't see the difference, so you diet more. It is a continuous circle of dieting until you have destroyed your body.

I also see how people can become bulimic, you want to lose weight. But you also see all the wonderful food out there. It is hard to go out to eat and not overeat. Portion sizes are crazy and the food is soooo good. Socially you don't want to go out with your friends to a nice restaurant and not eat. So what do you do? The easy thing - eat whatever you want, infact overeat, why not? You're just going to go puke it up anyway.

I also understand just giving up. It is hard to lose weight. Hell look at all the overweight people in the world. Overweight is the new normal. You can eat what you want and not worry about it. The problem is all the health problems related to being overweight. If only there was a pill! Maybe the government will find a way, after all it is the governments responsibility to take care of us, isn't it?

When all is said and done, I think 190 is my overall goal. According to the BMI calculator, I will still be overweight, but what the heck! I need to get down to 179 to be "HEALTHY" and that is a lot of work.

Oh, one other thing. I hope BYU loses tomorrow to FSU. GO FSU!!!

4 comments:

  1. I think you look hot! We are so Hot!!!! keep it up babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed! GO FSU!!! and dad, you look awesome, you don't need to lose another pound IMO.
    love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.2 lbs a week is awesome! The slower you lose it the longer you keep it off anyway. To lose 2 lbs/week you have to cut out 1000 kcals a day. That's a lot! I'd feel like I was starving.

    GO FSU!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you look so great dad! and BYU lost! Wahoo!!

    ReplyDelete