Thursday, August 27, 2009

I Can't Weight

If you don't know, I have been monitoring my calorie intake for the last 90 days or so. Most people call this dieting, but I hate the word "diet". I have been using a website called myfitnesspal.com to help me monitor.

When I started, I entered my weight, height, age, etc. From these numbers the site figured out my BMI (Body Mass Index), and my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). BMI is a measure of body fat based on your height and weight. BMR is a measure of how many calories your body burns in 24 hours just to exist. From these numbers they can project how many calories you can have each day to lose a specific amount of weight.

My BMI when I started was 32.1, according to the chart - "OBESE". OBESE, I can't be OBESE, I would rather be fat, Its not like I have rolls of fat, double chin, etc. I'm still in pretty good shape, I play BBall and golf. I think the BMI uses the word OBESE to motivate you. It seems to work for me.

My BMR was 1930 calories per day. I wanted to lose about 2 lbs per week. According to "sources" 2 lbs/week is a safe amount, which meant I could only have 1400 calories a day. Its been hard, but I have averaged about 1400 calories.

Heres my problem. 90 days is almost 13 weeks, I should have lost 25 lbs, but I have only lost about 15 lbs, not bad, but hell, whats the point. I feel cheated. I rechecked my BMI at my current weight (215 lbs) and I am still - "OBESE". By the way, when I get down to 214.5 lbs I will have a BMI of 29.9 and I will only be overweight. I can't weight.

I think the index must be wrong though. In order for me not to be overweight I have to get down to 179 lbs. I consider that skinny, My god, I have big bones.

I checked the weight of some pro athletes to see where they rank. Here are my results:

Name BMI Rating
Brett Farve 28.5 Overweight
LaBron James 27.5 Overweight
Shaq Oneal 31.6 Obese
Reggie Bush 27.5 Overweight
Marshawn Lynch 30.0 Obese

I guess being overweight isn't so bad after all.

2 comments:

  1. I do believe that you are right. Someone is smoking dope while they are making this stuff up. But you are obviously doing something right. 15 pounds!! I personally think you are HOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha you crack me up. I am so proud of you! Lastnight while I was playing first, I looked over and saw you in the stands and thought " Wow, he is looking really skinny!" I didn't even know you had been counting calories. Wow. You are awesome! Lookin good!

    ReplyDelete